So after a few weeks of work with the Windows Phone 7 developer tools, I can now present an early look at an upcoming application, “Coaster Crazy”. I know there are tons of roller coaster and theme park fans and since I share that passion, I could not think of a better way to get my hands dirty with Windows Phone development.
Currently, the application has access to a database of over 400 rollercoasters. All of the big names are there, but there are even a few obscure ones in there as well, like “Wild Mouse” at Funtown Splashtown in Saco, Maine. If there is a coaster that is not in the database, you have the ability to add it manually. As of now, only coasters located in the U.S.A. are available, but prior to release, additional countries will be added.
Some of the features that are currently being planned or worked on include (Note that all may not make it into version 1):
- Rating of coasters ridden – using a star rating system
- Bing map integration – find coasters based on your current location
- Notes: save any memorable notes about the ride
- Youtube video search – search for ride video’s on youtube (depending on ability to play Youtube video’s)
- Twitter integration – tweet when a new coaster is added, or a new ride recorded.
- Journal – This will be a place to see all your data come together, total overall coaster rides, etc.
So as you can see there is still a lot of work to do. With that said, take a look for yourself at the progress being made…